UCI driver's certificate
In 2013, new regulatory provisions were introduced obliging all members of the press wishing to drive a vehicle in the race convoy to also hold a UCI Licence (art. 2.2.035 of the UCI Regulations).
In addition, all drivers who hold a “licence for a vehicle driver in a road event” [para 1.8 of art. 1.1.010 of the UCI Regulations] are also required to be in possession of a “Driver's certificate delivered by the UCI” (art. 2.2.035 bis of the UCI Regulations) according to the instructions published on this subject, if intending to drive a vehicle in the race convoy during a UCI WorldTour event. The certificate will be delivered to drivers who followed a course delivered by the UCI.
This provision primarily concern press drivers (photographers, TV, radios…) which usually hold a “licence for a vehicle driver in a road event”; holders of a licence for all other functions [art. 1.1.010 of the UCI Regulations] are exempt from these obligations. However, the UCI encourages all drivers to take part in the course at some point.
With the support of the International Association of Cycling Journalists (AIJC), 15 courses have been scheduled for the 2017 season:
- Friday 24th February before the Omloop Het Nieuwsblad Elite
- Friday 3rd March before Strade Bianche
- Saturday 4th March before Paris – Nice
- Sunday 19th March before the Volta Ciclista a Catalunya
- Tuesday 21st March before Dwars door Vlaanderen/A travers les Flandres
- Saturday 15th April before the Amstel Gold Race
- Monday 24th April before the Tour de Romandie
- Sunday 30th April before the Rund um den Finanzplatz Eschborn-Frankfurt
- Thursday 4th May before the Giro d’Italia
- Saturday 13th May before the Amgen Tour of California
- Friday 30th June before the Tour de France
- Friday 28th July before the Tour de Pologne
- Saturday 29th July before the Prudential RideLondon-Surrey Classic
- Friday 18th August before La Vuelta Ciclista a España
- Saturday 26th August before the Bretagne Classic – Ouest France
- Thursday 7th September before the Grand Prix Cycliste de Québec
- Wednesday 18th October before the Gree-Tour of Guangxi
The up to date list of drivers already in possession of a « Driver’s certificate delivered by the UCI” is available here. Please all drivers check the expiry date of your certificate.
Drivers wishing to register are kindly asked to fill in the enrolment form (available below) and send it back to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Driver’s certificate”.